Visual and Performing Arts, Health and PE, Career Technical Education
Visual and Performing Arts
VPA Standards, developed by the National Coalition for Core Arts Standards, can be found here:
These standards cover K-12 instruction, and their purpose is to teach students the following skill set:
To teach these skills with fidelity, the Seaford School District has adopted several curricular resources to act as the delivery model.
|Quavermusic.com||Lessons are packed with singing, moving, and playing instruments to address the musical concepts, vocabulary, and skills outlined by state and national standards at every grade level. For grades K-5, modules are three weeks in length and address grade-appropriate materials through engaging lessons, and conclude with an assessment that can be distributed digitally.|
|6-8||Quavermusic.com||Lessons are packed with singing, moving, and playing instruments to address the musical concepts, vocabulary, and skills outlined by state and national standards at every grade level. For grades 6-8, fourteen multi-session group projects help teachers extend the foundations learned in elementary school. All students are engaged in composing, performing, and responding to music in their daily lives.|
AP Art Theory
Hooktheory Classroom combines engaging music theory material students love with an innovative musical sketchpad, tailor-made for education. Students explore and apply what they learn in real time.
AP Art Theory is an introductory college-level art history course. Students cultivate their understanding of art history though analyzing works of art and placing them in historical context as they explore concepts like culture and culture interactions, theories an interpretations of art, the impact of materials, processes, and techniques on art and art making, and understanding purpose and audience in art historical analysis.
Health and Physical Education
Delaware Health Standards can be found here:
Delaware Physical Education Standards can be found here:
Both sets of standards cover K-12 education, and their purpose is to teach students the following skill set:
- Health Standards are designed to help students improve their overall health and wellness, such as learning how to:
- Avoid or reduce health risks
- Understand the importance of decision-making skills
- Apply goal-setting skills to their lives
- Advocate for themselves, their families and communities
- Physical Education Standards are designed to teach students physical activities, such as understanding how:
- physical activity sustains movement and supports overall personal well-being
- physical education helps build the skills and knowledge needed to establish and sustain active lifestyles
Kids Heart Challenge
SPARK is a cross-curricular program with a behavioral focus that has been proven to significantly increase health knowledge and positively impact youth behaviors.
Kids Heart Challenge is a fun and exciting event where students learn about their heart while helping others by raising money for the American Heart Association. Children are prepared for success through physical and emotional well-being.
Personal Safety is a collection of vetted resources that teaches students about "good touch/bad touch" and how to talk to trusted adults if they feel unsafe.
Always Changing is specifically designed for 5th grade boys and girls and offers resources to help educations and parents teach the important topics of puberty and development.
Personal Hygiene is a collection of vetted resources that teaches students the importance of keeping their body fresh and clean.
Safer, Smarter Teens is a curricular resource with two components - one for Middle School and one for High School. At the MS level, students are taught to recognize their personal power and use it to protect themselves and peers. At the HS level, students are empowered to advocate for themselves and others.
Edgenuity Health is an online program that teaches the standards outlined above.
Kidshealth.org offers free health-related lesson plans. This site is vetted by Nemours, and all lessons are aligned to the National Health Education Standards.
CDC.gov offers lessons developed specifically for adolescents and school health.
Career and Technical Education
State-Model Programs of Study can be found here:
Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs allow Delaware students the chance to earn early college credits, industry-recognized credentials and work experience while still in high school. Each state-model CTE program of study:
- Maps to a demand-driven occupation
- Defines a course sequence and instructional outline
- Offers students opportunities to earn college credit and industry recognized credentials
- Provides support for school administrators and counselors
- Provides course-specific professional learning opportunities for teachers
Seaford Middle School Programming Includes:
- Family and Consumer Science
- Business Essentials
- Technology Education
Seaford High School Programming Includes:
- Culinary and Hospitality
- Public and Community Health
- Environmental and Natural Science
- Digital Communications Technology
- Marketing Today!
- Manufacturing and Technology Education
- K-12 Teacher Academy