The Seaford School District serves a diverse, multi-lingual student body in a region of Delaware that faces many of the challenges of both urban and rural America. We acknowledge the unique challenges of the modern public educational landscape, and work toward providing an equitable and technologically up-to-date school experience for all students. Our mission is to instill in our students a sense of pride through excellence, enabling them to be good citizens, contributing members of society and to successfully compete in a global economy.
Underlying our mission are the following governing values and philosophic beliefs:
A. Governing Values
- Public education is vital to America’s future and is everyone’s responsibility.
- All students deserve a quality education.
- Each individual has fundamental worth and dignity and is to be treated with respect.
- Responsible student behavior is essential to learning.
- All students can learn.
- Students learn in different ways and at different rates.
- Each student has the right to think critically but must present the results of such thinking in a respectful manner.
- Students who achieve at high levels will develop positive self-esteem and continue to produce positive results.
- Human diversity is a strength upon which we can build.
- A safe, orderly, supportive environment is necessary for learning.
B. Philosophic Beliefs
- Parents will make sure their children are prepared for school and ready to learn, and students will come to school prepared and ready to learn.
- Parents will promote responsible and respectful behavior on the part of their children, and students will conduct themselves as productive school citizens, behaving responsibly and treating others with respect.
- Students will be active learners, working to perform at increasing levels of achievement, and parents will monitor their children’s progress in school.
- School staffs will have high expectations for students and help them meet or exceed those expectations.
- School staffs shall adjust and school programs shall be adjusted to meet the changing needs of students in order to maximize the educational potential of all students.
- School staffs and school programs shall foster the active involvement of the parents, the community, and the students, and parents will maintain regular communications with school staffs.
- School staffs shall endeavor to instill a desire for lifelong learning in students.