The Frederick Douglass School educated African American students in Seaford from 1922-1966. Professor Robert W. Thomas Sr. served as the only principal during that time. Built as part of philanthropist Pierre S. du Pont’s school rebuilding program, Frederick Douglass initially educated grades 1-11. Renovations in 1956 expanded the school’s size to 18 classrooms, with administrative offices, cafeteria, gym, auditorium, home economics room, industrial shop, music room, and library. When a new Seaford High School opened in 1966 and the district restructured, this building was desegregated and became the Frederick Douglass Elementary School.
Historical Marker Placed at FDES
The Historical Marker text for The Frederick Douglass School.